16 gems from the life of a Receptionist…
- I eye-roll 3,496 times a day. Facepalm 1,569 times also.
- I make frequent use of the ‘hold’ button.
- I get excited over new stationery.
- When you’re shouting down the phone at me, it doesn’t make me want to help you more.
- I’m an all-day grazer. My desk is covered in snacks.
- I’m more embarrassed by your ‘embarrassing story’ than you are.
- We’re not all 1 person. As much as I’d love to I can’t physically, emotionally, willingly- answer the phone, sit at the front desk, be the Dr’s secretary, filing and do admin.
- There are times when I release a string of profanity as soon as you hang up.
- I don’t have a magic wand, and no one is more gutted about that than I am. I can’t magic appointments out of thin air.
- It’s exhausting being smiley and upbeat all day long. Most days I manage to leave my shit at the door. Most days…
- This is my job, my career. I am a professional receptionist. This isn’t a stop-gap while I’m home at uni.
- Saying the words: “Just-a-receptionist” is a sure-fire way of pissing me off and is will earn you either eye-roll or “WTF” face.
- A sense of humour is VITAL in this job.
- It will be very tense prior to the annual CQC visit.
- Nothing makes me feel more like I’m exactly in the right place more than hearing a “Thank-you for you help” or seeing someone’s bad day ease just by providing a caring, compassionate response to a person’s bad time.